Monday, January 31, 2011

Who are you and how did you end up in a box of my ancestor's photos?!


According to the back of this photo, this is Harmon Lippel.  I'm scanning old photographs that I inherited from my aunt.  So, I'm looking at this picture and the first thing that pops in my head is "Lippel?!?!  Now that's a surname I've never seen before."  The second thing that I thought was he reminds me of Ray McKinnon's "bonafide" portrayal of Vernon T. Waltrip in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

I searched the censuses on Ancestry and found Harmon in Mulberry Grove, Bond County, Illinois in 1870.  He was living with Alex and Harriett Dixon.  He was living with them in 1880 as well.  I found that Alexander and Harriett were living next to some of my Edwards family.  Then I went to the Illinois State Archives databases to look at the marriage database.  What do you know!  Alex Dixon married Harriett Edwards in Bond County, IL on 11 Dec 1858 in Bond County, IL as recorded in Bond County Marriage Volume A, License 4.  Then I had a duh moment and realized exactly who Harriett was.

Very interesting, Mr. Lippel.  Let's look into you a bit more.

Seems our guy married Emma Lyngby in Fayette County, IL on 26 Feb 1896 (Volume B, License 41).  According to the 1900 and 1910 Censuses, they had at least four children:  Anna, Harold, Ernest and Irene.  There are also two girls listed with the family in 1900 that both have the surname Bone.  They are listed as his daughters, but aren't with them in 1910.  I haven't found them past 1910, but there's an entry on Ancestery that his wife died 24 Feb 1934.

Seems this fine young man appears to only be a family friend.  If he's related closer to you than me, contact me.  I've got a larger, better resolution of this picture for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment