Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday's Obituary - Orpha Mae (Perkins) Elam


My grandmother, Orpha Mae (Perkins) Elam was the daughter of George Washington and Alzada (Edwards) Perkins.  My father was her youngest child.


I remember, as a child, attending the same church in Calvert Ctiy as my grandparents.  Grandma was the Senior Ladies Sunday School Teacher.  When my Sunday School class was over, I'd run upstairs and visit her's.  There she was, sitting behind an old wooden desk with her "pocketbook" on the corner.  Her Bible would be open along with the quarterly booklet she taught from.  In her class were the best "Church Ladies" of the Calvert City United Methodist Church.  Dots of rouge on each cheek, various shades of red or pink lipstick, some of the best hats that were ever created.  Light feathery touches from hands that felt as if they were covered in parchment instead of skin.  Each lady had a different scent - old lady perfume is what I used to call it, smells that I find comfort in now.  One whiff and I'm 6 again, running up the stairs to my grandmother's lap.


No comments:

Post a Comment