Sunday, June 17, 2018

Back It Up; Back It Up

This is why I scream, yammer and otherwise carry on about making genealogy backups.

Within the past year, I lost my laptop. Lost as in I woke up one morning and it did not work. So, I got a new one. The smug bastard that I am (literally...my bio parents weren't married), I thought that I saved everything to Dropbox or OneDrive.  Except - my Moberly text file that had everyone in it and all generations since God was a boy and had a Moberly as a childhood friend

So! What do I do, but go to Google and think that it will help me find the discussion group that had the text file in the first place, except it mocks me! What does it show me?! Ads for those stupid family crest websites which we all know are hoaxes and nothing but ways to cheat people out hopeful genealogists' $$$$. I know this because before I ever did any genealogy, I sent $$$$ to one for my ex-husband's surname and I got a made-up family crest and a telephone listing for every <insert surname> in the United States!

I need to take to drinkin' again..... Heavily.....

No comments:

Post a Comment